Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Wish List

The 13+ years I have spent in Healthcare have sensitized me to some things. I might have preferred to remain ignorant of many of them. In the spirit of Christmas, which is handy at this time of year, I'd like to nominate a list of gifts that would bless all residents and citizens of the U.S.A., regardless of theology or philosophy. Each item in the list relates to health care.
  1. I wish that the role of technology could be clearly understood. There are a vast number of well-funded voices who want us to think that technology is health care or that health care is technology. In reality, technology is best thought of as a tool--an inert and often expensive piece of equipment, which, in the right hands, can produce wonderful results.
  2. "The Patient" or "our patients" is not the same as "my patient" or "Josie Jones, patient". It may not be possible to apply technology designed for delivering care to a generic patient to Ms Jones. That doesn't mean that the technology is bad. It only means that the technology must allow for deviation in procedure. I wish that the role of abstraction is system design could be clearly understood.
  3. I wish that all of the factions in the healthcare struggles were clear about their goals--with themselves and with each other. Only by being self-aware, open and open-minded can the parties negotiate a solution advantageous to all. Doctors, nurses, administrators, vendors, government and patients are currently at odds. The friction is not only between factions but within factions. Who will speak for physicians? The A.M.A.? Mayo Clinic? Who? Who speaks for government, for vendors, for patients, for nurses, for administrators? Each of these groups functions like a mob--surging to and fro as a strong voice emerges and then is drowned out. Each group must organize itself before "healthcare" can be organized.
  4. Though I recognize that individuals and groups may be driven by ego to appear more knowledgeable than the next, I most devoutly wish that each of us might recognize that the person across the table might actually have some knowledge that we don't. I wish that we would listen first and assert only when necessary. I wish that we could see ourselves as occupying the same driverless bus.

There are many more things I might wish for this year but I don't want to seem greedy. May you each be showered with blessing upon blessing as one of God's beloved and may we fully appreciate each blessing as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment